Working digimodes, remote operation and just controlling the rig from a pc is easy with the TS-590s – everything(?) is available over the USB-port so just attach a cable and your all set. Since I don’t have Windows you’ll have to consult other pages to get help on that topic but from what I gather just plug in the 590 to Windows 7/8/10(?), fire up HRD or similar and your all set.
Here is what I have tested:
Connecting via USB to Macbook Air (Mac OS X)
- Attach USB-cable to computer (13″ Macbook Air, late 2010, Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite)
- The sound card installs without a glitch – it’s called “/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART” for me.
- The serial port requires driver from Silabs – search for “CP210x VCP Mac OSX Drivers” or something similar. After a restart(!) the serial port works automagically.
Connecting via USB to Linux (Ubuntu)
- Attach USB-cable to computer
- Both serial port and soundcard installed effortlessly and I was able to work PSK31 within five minutes